Chewy, chocolatey, gingery and gluten free! I think I have perfected this gluten-free version of my favourite Christmas cookie! Ground oats and almonds replace the flour and chia gel replaces the eggs and gives these cookies just the right amount of chewiness! You can grind your own almonds to make almond flour, however; it is sometimes difficult to get a consistent grind in a food processor so I often purchase almond flour by Bobs Arrowhead Mills.
- 3/4 cup of almond flour (finely ground almonds)
- 21/2 cups of gluten free rolled oats ground to a fine flour in a blender
- 11/4 sp. ground dried ginger
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. of cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. of ground chia or flax seeds mixed into 3 Tbsp. of water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil at room temperature (otherwise it will not mix)
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tsp. baking soda mixed into 1 Tbsp. boiled water
- 11/2 cups of dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1/4 cup organic granulated sugar to coat
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. No need to pre-heat the oven at this point as the cookie dough needs to cool in the refrigerator for an hour prior to baking. Sift the almond flour, oat flour, dried ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cacao together into a medium sized bowl.set aside.
In a separate bowl beat coconut oil together with 1 Tbsp. of fresh ginger and the chia gel with a hand mixer.
Add the coconut sugar and molasses. Blend well.
Add 1/2 of the dry spice and flour mix along with the baking soda mixed in hot water to the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined and then add the remaining dry mix. Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips or chunks until well combined.
Place the bowl in the refrigerator for an hour to set up a little bit. Roll into 11/2 inch. balls and coat with the organic granulated sugar. Place on the cookie sheet leaving space for them to expand as they bake.
Bake at 325 F. for 12-14 min. Cool on a wire baking rack before removing from the cookie sheet.