This basic raw chocolate ganache blends up in minutes and lends itself to a variety of flavourings. I have experimented with dried ancho chilies, and essential oils of peppermint, orange, lavender, and rose, a perfect Valentines gift packaged in 250ml mason jars!
It can be blended with warm or hot water ( depending on how fussy you are about it remaining completely raw) and a little coconut oil to create a rich and creamy dairy-free treat. I like to serve it in smaller espresso-like cups by the 1/2 cup because it is so rich!
Raw Cacao contains more vitamins and minerals than its roasted counterpart and rumour has it that Aztec Emperor Montezuma would consume 50 cups of cacao before visiting his harem!
- 3/4 cup clear raw agave syrup
- 3/4 cup raw organic cacao powder
- 1/3 cup chopped raw organic cacao butter, melted over low heat
- 1/8 tsp. himalayan pink salt
- tsp. raw wildcrafted vanilla powder ( or 2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract)
- 1 small dried ancho chilli, stemmed, seeded and ground to a powder in the blender, and 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 5 drops of either, orange, peppermint, lavender, or rose essential oil. (make sure that your oils are high quality, food-grade)
Blend the agave, cacao powder, melted cacao butter, salt and vanilla in a high seed blender until smooth. Add your choice of flavours and blend again to incorporate. Spoon into a 1 cup mason jar or two 1/2 cup jars to give as gifts!
You can store it in the refrigerator for an extended period of time however; it is stable at room temperature for up to 1 month.
To make the hot chocolate:
Combine 11/2 tbsp. of your raw drinking chocolate ganache with 1/2 cup of warm or hot water and 1 tsp. of raw coconut oil in a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and frothy. Serve in a small coffee or espresso cup.