A super natural soup, steeped with the magic of chaga and porcini mushrooms! Certain to foretell a future of health and longevity!
As a result of being disappointed with the lack of vegetarian options in ramen bars, I created this dish with a satisfying rich broth made from dried mushrooms, miso, and warming spices! You can add whatever veggies you like but my favourites are roasted yams, sautéed onions and steamed broccolini. Chaga is a medicinal mushroom that is stimulating to the immune system therefore making this noodle bowl a perfect winter meal. It is readily available at most health food stores. I like to use a rougher cut for this broth to avoid too much sediment. Lotus Foods makes a delicious gluten free ramen noodle made from brown rice and millet that is available now in bulk at Costco! Feel free to double the broth as it keeps well in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- 8 cups of water (spring water if you have access to it)
- 14 g. of dried porcini or shitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. of chopped dried chaga
- 6 slices of fresh ginger
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 red thai chili
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
Combine all ingredients in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 45 minutes. Strain, discarding the solids and reserving the broth. To the remaining broth, add the following:
- 2 Tbsp. of tamari
- 3 Tbsp. of miso (chickpea is my favourite)
- 1 tsp. of toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. of fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. of maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. of powdered kelp
- 1 tsp. of pink himalayan salt
Taste to adjust the flavours, adding a little more salt or lime if desired. Set aside while you prepare the noodles and the veggies.
- 1 bunch of broccolini, steamed
- 1 large yam, peeled, cubed, tossed in a bit of olive oil and tamari before being roasted at 400 degrees F. for about 30 min. Toss a few times as they roast.
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled, thinly sliced, sautéed until soft with a pinch of salt
- Thin carrot slices cut into flowers or hearts!!
- chopped cilantro or fresh pea shoots to garnish if desired
Cook 1 noodle cake per person according to instructions on the package. Divide cooked, strained noodles between four large bowls.
Heat and ladle the broth over the noodles. Arrange roasted yams, sautéed onions, steamed broccolini, and carrot flowers on top. Serve topped with chopped cilantro or fresh pea shoots if desired!