I am joining the “Smoothie Bowl” craze with the spring flavours of fresh organic strawberries and rhubarb right out of my mountain garden! It isn’t often that we eat rhubarb raw, however its tart flavour pares perfectly with strawberries and frozen bananas as a base for this breakfast bowl. It is also loaded with vitamins K, A, C, and B, as well as magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium. Rhubarb has been used in China for hundreds of years in the treatment of stomach ailments. Lucuma powder, made from an exotic Peruvian fruit adds a creamy texture to the smoothie and is a great source of beta carotene, vitamin B3 , niacin, and iron.
In addition to the walnut-almond crumble I added goji berries, flaked coconut, hemp seeds, and fresh strawberries to top it off!
Serves 2 or one large serving!
- 1/2 cup raw organic walnuts (or pecans)
- 1/2 cup raw organic almonds
- 1/3 cup of organic gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 whole soft pitted dates
- 1 tsp. of coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp. of melted coconut oil
Combine all ingredients except for the melted coconut oil in a food processor. Process until crumbly. Add melted coconut oil, pulsing until the mixture moistens slightly and clumps together. Store the crumble in a sealed container in the fridge until ready to use.
- 6 whole fresh organic strawberries (you can use frozen but you may have to increase the liquid slightly)
- 1/2 frozen organic banana
- 1/2 cup frozen rhubarb, chopped
- 1 tsp. lucuma powder
- 1 tbsp. of chia seeds
- 1 full scoop of vanilla sprouted brown rice protein by Sun Warrior. (This is stevia sweetened which eliminates the need for other sweeteners)
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth and thick. It should have the consistency of a soft serve ice cream.
Spoon the smoothie into 1 large or two smaller bowls. Top with a sprinkling of the crumble mixture, a tbsp. or two of dried goji berries, a tbsp. of hemp seeds, and a sprinkling of dried ribbon coconut! Garnish with fresh strawberries.