Looking for a hot, grain-free, stick to your ribs breakfast cereal? I mashed baked butternut squash with coconut milk, ginger, turmeric, a pinch of black pepper and a scoop of Sun Warrior Classic Plus protein before topping it with toasted pecans, true cinnamon, and organic raisins! The squash can be baked and mashed in advance and leftovers store well for a day or two in the fridge. The Sun Warrior Plus protein powder is stevia sweetened and lends a subtle sweetness and vanilla flavour to the porridge. In place of the protein try a few drops of vanilla liquid stevia or even a good drizzle of raw honey or maple syrup!
makes two one cup servings
- 1 small/medium butternut squash
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (the thick cream scooped off of the top of a can of organic, full fat coconut milk) Reserve the rest of the coconut milk to drizzle over top.
- 2 tsp. of ginger juice (finely grated ginger, squeezed to exude the juice)
- 1/2 tsp. organic turmeric powder
- pinch of freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp. true cinnamon
- pinch of himalayan salt
- 11/2 tsp. of Sunwarrior Classic Plus Protein powder. (Opt., use a few drops of stevia if not using)
- 1/4 cup of toasted pecans, chopped
- a drizzle of maple syrup (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 350F.
Cut the butternut squash in half. Place face down in a baking dish with 1 inch of water. Bake for about 40 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork.
Holding the squash with a tea towel or an oven mitt, scoop out the seeds.
Scoop the flesh into a medium sized bowl. Mash with a potato masher. You should have about 2 cups of flesh.
Add the 1/4 cup of coconut cream. Stir to combine.
Add the 2 tsp. of freshly squeezed or juiced ginger, the 1/2 tsp. of turmeric powder, black pepper, salt, protein powder (or stevia to taste), and true cinnamon. Reheat the squash mixture at this point if you want it really hot!
Divide the squash porridge between two bowls. Blend up the remaining coconut milk in your blender if it has separated. Drizzle some of the remaining coconut milk over top of the porridge. (freeze the leftover coconut milk) Sprinkle with toasted chopped pecans, organic raisins, and extra true cinnamon. Drizzle with a tsp. of maple syrup or raw honey!