Inspired by my Raw Salty Caramel Coconut Almond Butter, these protein rich raw cookies are easily made with a food processor. I made dozens of these this week as a gift for Nurses Week and thought I would share the recipe with you! I sprouted and dehydrated my almonds before using them, however; you can simply use raw un-sprouted almonds. The caramel extract is made by Medicine Flower which are all natural and available at specialty stores or on line. Sun Warrior Vanilla Sprouted Brown Rice Protein Powder is my protein powder of choice. It is stevia sweetened which eliminates the need to use too much added sweetener.
I often double this batch and then freeze them to have on hand as a satisfying trail snack!
makes 12 protein balls
- 11/2 cups of raw almonds or raw, sprouted and dehydrated almonds. (To sprout, soak almonds in water on your countertop overnight before straining and dehydrating at 117 degrees F. for 36 hours)
- 11/2 cups of raw, unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of Sun Warrior Vanilla Sprouted Brown Rice Protein Powder
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. of pure almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. pink himalayan salt
- about 1/4 cup of raw honey or maple syrup (enough to bind)
- 1/4 dropper full of Caramel Medicine Flower Extract
- dark chocolate chips or chunks to garnish (opt.)
Combine the almonds, coconut, and protein powder in your food processor. Process until finely ground.
Add the vanilla, almond extract, caramel extract and salt. Continue to process while drizzling in the honey or maple syrup until a large ball forms. If you add too much sweetener the balls will be too soft and collapse. The mixture should stick together when you squeeze it in your hands.
Form the dough into 1 inch balls. Garnish with a chunk of organic dark chocolate if desired! Store in a sealed container in the fridge.